Who can give out nutrition advice?
Dietitians and doctors are the only health professionals who are allowed to provide nutrition advice for the therapeutic treatment or management of diseases or conditions. 
Dietitians are qualified and registered health professionals, with a minimum of a 4-year or a 2-year post graduate degree in human nutrition and dietetics. During this degree they are trained in assessing, diagnosing, and treating various medical conditions using individualized nutritional prescriptions – called Medical Nutritional Therapy. Doctors are specialists in the therapeutic treatment of disease and are also qualified to therapeutically treat/manage diseases using nutrition.

Other health workers or health professionals, including nutritionists and nurses, are only allowed to provide nutrition advice in so far as it pertains to prevention of disease and promotion of health.

How do I know if I qualify coverage for a private nutrition consult through FMR Wellness Foundation?
After you have been referred by your medical provider to an FMR Certified Registered Dietitian, please complete the following steps:

1. Call your insurance company to see if you have coverage for Medical Nutrition Therapy using the code 97802 and 97803.
2. If you DO NOT have coverage you have two options:

a. Fill out the form entitled Eligibility Requests.


 b. You may pay the out of pocket fee of 250$ per hour.

If you DO have coverage you have two options:
a. Please choose a local nutrition provider that accepts insurance. FMR Wellness Foundation can assist you with this process, as the FMR Wellness Foundation does not accept insurance.
b. You may pay the out of pocket fee and see one of our FMR Certified Registered Dietitians. Please note, you have the right to choose who you want to use for your nutrition services. You do not have to use your insurance coverage.